What should I know if I am going to live in a room near the UPB?
You are going to study at the UPB in Medellin and you are looking for a room to rent in the neighborhood? Here is everything you need to know about the area, its advantages and disadvantages and the facilities you can find in the sector.
- The UPB is an institutional area located in the commune 11 “Laureles-Stadium”. This area is one of the favorite neighborhoods to live in for foreigners in Medellín.
- The most popular neighborhoods that surround the Universidad Pontificia Bolivariana are: Laureles, Conquistadores, San Joaquín, Estadio, La América and Belén Fátima and Rosales (belonging to the Belén commune)
- Other neighborhoods can be near to the university but not necessarily close to it, the advantage: facility in transportation.
- In general terms, it is one of the most populated and better-known sectors of the city.
Among the advantages and facilities that you can find in these sectors are the following:
- Laureles, Conquistadores and San Joaquin are the areas closest to the university, you can access to them by walking.
- One of the biggest advantages is the multitude of Encicla stations to be able to move around the city and in the neighborhood.
- In this sector you find multiple options of supermarkets, shopping centers and chain stores to make your purchases: such as Éxito, Carulla, Unicentro, Euro etc.
- It has 2 hot spots of the city: La 70 and La 33. So you won’t be that far from the party area as well as a variety of university bars on Nutibara avenue.
- Multiple Metro stations to access to different places of the city (plus Metroplus and feeders buses)
- Varied bus routes that can also take you to many places in the city.
- Closeness to points of interest such as Atanasio Girardot Sports Complex, Estadio, La 70 avenue, Unidad Deportiva de Belén, etc.
Disadvantages when you want to live in a room near the UPB:
- In general, it is not recommended to walk alone by night, regardless the neighborhood. But in the sectors of Belen, it is better to be even more cautious.
- If you need to use public transportation to go to the UPB, know that it’s hard to commute during rush hours. So you will have to leave home with plenty of time to be puntual.
- Because it’s a very old neighborhoods, most of its residents are older people, as well as students. That’s why noise and parties at home usually have to be controlled.
- In the season of soccer games, it is better to be cautious in sectors like the Stadium. Indeed, there are usually many malicious people nearby during the games.
- Laureles is one of the most expensive zones in the city due to its history and its proximity to a private university.
In general, each sector will have its advantages and disadvantages. The important thing is to consider them according to the needs you have in order to make a good decision. You can visit getvico.com to find your room to rent near the UPB. Good luck!