Here is everything you need to know about the Cédula de extranjería: what it is, how to get, how much it is…
What is the Cédula de Extranjería?
Thanks to the cédula de extranjería, you can travel through Colombia without having to take your original passport with you.
The cédula de extranjería is a card that represents your Colombian Visa while you’re in the country.
And yes, it is mandatory for those who carry a TP visa. However, it is not for the holders of other visas or PIPs.
It’s your Colombian identification card, so you don’t have to carry your passport everywhere. It also proves that you are allowed to stay on the Colombian ground legally. Therefore, you can travel within Colombia with your Cédula de Extranjería only.
It is worth getting one!
Important: Foreign citizens who enter Colombia as holders or beneficiaries of visas with validity of more than 3 months must register with the Migration of Colombia within the next 15 calendar days. This 15-day period starts from your entry to Colombia or from the date of issuance of the visa if you got it within the national territory.
How to get the Cédula de Extranjería?
The 11 steps to get your cédula:
1. Scan the first page of your passport in PDF format (Max. 1 MB). Meanwhile, you must have your blood group at hand. If you don’t, you can test it in a clinic eg Las Americas, near the Office Of Migration.
3. Select “Type of Process” (Cédula de Extranjería) and Migration Office near you (Medellín) and fill out the form with the required information and upload the PDF of your passport
Caution: The Blood Group is required and will be printed on your card.
You also must enter a Colombian address and a phone number (this information will also be required in the migration process) it works fine with a friend’s address.
4. Schedule an appointment by entering:
5. Go to your local office on the day of the assigned appointment (Bring your passport and visa and a copy of both)
Tip: Go early and take something to read because the process (of course the waiting) may take some hours.
Here is the one in Medellín:
Address: Cl. 19 # 80A-40, Medellín, Antioquia, Colombia
Tel .: +57 4 3455500
Opening Hours: Monday to Friday from 08:00 a.m. to 04:00 p.m; Saturday and Sunday closed.
At the office:
6. They will take a photo and record your fingerprints.
7. The process costs 183,000.00 COP ( more or less 55€).
- Foreign credit cards are accepted (but additional cost may depend on your card).
- You can also pay in cash by a bank deposit (consignación) in Banco de Occidente (No additional cost).
8. During the process, you will receive the number of your Cédula of extranjería, keep it well!
9. Then, after 7 to 10 days after the payment has been made, you can look up your number in the Cédula de Extranjería Registration website to see if your certificate (with the corresponding number) is ready to be picked up.
10. Pick up your ID and enjoy your stay in Medellin!
The responsible office for your C.E. is located in the calle 19 # 80A.Toggle panel
The next step after getting your Cédula de Extranjería is likely to be finding your housing. Since there are multiple ways and websites to find it, you might get a bit lost between all the options. Here is our guide on the easiest way to find a room in Medellin.